Thursday, August 7, 2008

Why SnakesInTheTower ?

What a strange name for a blog(ger). It started out as a tongue in cheek joke. As an inactive Jehovah's Witness, I was looking for answers to questions I had about the religion of my youth and really my entire adult life. I was what is called a "fader," someone who gradually leaves the faith rather than just quit suddenly or resign. In the JW religion, you can't just resign without repercussions. If you are disfellowshipped (excommunicated) or disassociate (resign), then the rest of the members of the faith are told to shun you...even family members that are active JW's are not supposed to talk to you...since my mom is still an active member, and I still have a few JW friends, I don't want to lose that lifeline to them. So I had to choose a screen name rather than my own.

SnakesInTheTower has two meanings. First, I believe that the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses are the real "snakes" in the {Watch}tower. Ruining people's lives with arbitrary, non-biblical rules. The second meaning, is that they (the elders, GB, other higher ups at WTBTS) would consider me to be a snake in their tower... so be it.

I kept the SITT name for this blog to remain somewhat anonymous and for friends from the (soon to be) defunct ex-JW discussion board JWD. One day, I would like to tell my whole story, but for now, I have my JW mom to think about.

Feel free to comment.

1 comment:

Meegan said...

Well I always wondered what the heck Snakes in the Tower meant, although I had my suspicions.

:)

blackswan of memphis

I'll tag your blog on mine.