Monday, December 1, 2008

Another year gone by...reflections (ok..ramblings)

As my birthday creeps up on me tomorrow, I think, what's the big deal? Funny, I am now free to celebrate it (though of course if I were caught by any JW elders, I would be DF), but don't really care to.

The last time I celebrated my birthday was when I was 3, maybe 4, before my mom started studying with JWs. I don't remember it. I only know because of a few rare photos of me and cake and an old metal toy jeep that I got as a present and had for years afterwards.

Who knew that, decades later, most of my JW friends have turned their collective backs. Some will still wave if they see me, one or two call once in awhile to "check up on" me (aka, seeing if I am going back to meetings...uh...no) and when they find out that I am not....conversation winds down quickly...but mostly I hear nothing..... they closed the door to our friendship, not me.

I think the problem is that most JWs have nothing else to talk about with someone in my position ("fader"). We have lots that we could talk about, but nothing they will talk about. Recently a JW friend who is as close to a big sister as one could ask told me "we can talk about anything except my religion." Hmmmm...someone got to her..and what's this "my" religion? Oh, that's right, it't not Snakes' religion anymore.... we talk once a month..and I suspect that will end soon....

My former best friend and former roommate...and former fellow elder..... hasn't contacted me in months.... we used to have coffee once a month or more...but the last time was awkward (for him I think, not me)....everything he wanted to talk about...once we got past work....was about JW-related things....and I didn't provide much feedback.... I am interested in what he is doing in his life...including the JW stuff....I just didn't give any indication I was "returning to the flock."

Sigh.....

So as I reflect on life, I am wrapping up yet another semester of college studies. I hope this Associates is finished by Summer 2009. From there I don't know. As one of my much younger classmates said to everyone in a class recently: "Don't ask {Snakes} about next week, he is only worried about today and this quiz, not the next one."

Exactly. I worry about my current deadlines and obligations. The future is the future. A little brigter post-JW....

Have a good holiday everyone...all 3 of you that might happen across this blog....

Snakes

No comments: